Sunday, April 13, 2014

Why we're not celebrating Easter this year.


I ran into Target to grab some pull-ups the other day, and I was bombarded with a sea of pastels, eggs, and bunny ears. My first reaction was relief that spring is finally here. As I scanned the bins of cheap sunglasses and hello kitty coloring books, I soon became angry, angry that my saviors death and resurrection had been cheapened to sand toys and sugar coated marshmallows. He suffered not an easy death to conquer it forever and this is what it's come to? This is how we "celebrate"? Quickly enough the voice of reason kicked in and anger turned to pity. Really, my heart is saddened for those who don't know the shear joy that is only possible through this holiday.
This holiday is set apart from any other.
My life is only worth living because of this holiday.
This holiday defines my existence.
And really, there's just no room for a fluffy bunny after all that.

I spoke with my husband and that's when we decided, we're not celebrating Easter this year.  We're celebrating Christ's resurrection. Now, you may just think I'm playing with words but really I'm not. I find it interesting that the word "Easter" has been adopted and accepted while the word "Christmas" has not. We have holiday parties now, remember? We send out holiday cards too. While some people spend their time getting upset by this, it kind of makes me happy. There's something sacred still left in the word "Christmas", something that means when people aren't willing to accept Christ they aren't willing to accept Christmas. I can understand that. Now, with Easter it's changed. The world has been adopted the world has changed it into what it wants. Don't believe me? Go walk around target. Do you see the word Easter? You will. Take a look through the sale flyers. Do you see the word Easter? You will. So, no, I don't believe I'm playing with words. Out with "Easter", you can have it. This holiday means so much more. It's about a righteous man, who suffered on my behave, conquered death for all mankind, and LIVES so I can as well.

We never have done the whole Easter bunny thing at our house, but our kids would get a small basket full of goodies on Easter morning. We normally do some small egg hunt as well. This year will be different. This holiday means so much to us, we're going to be celebrating all week long. This week every ounce of energy I have, every story read, every creative crafty moment that we have will point us to the cross. No eggs, no chicks, no bunnies. THE CROSS. On Resurrection morning (not Easter remember) our kids will come down to the breakfast table and waiting for them will be a scripture stone (because my kids are obsessed with all things little that could be a "treasure"), a carefully picked out book from the Christian book store, and a cross necklace. That's it. No peeps, no jelly beans, no sidewalk chalk. Just a few little reminders that we can only live because HE does.

Have no fear, our Resurrection celebration isn't going to end there this year. This is it remember? The entire reason for our existence. It's worth two weeks. The next week we are going to be focusing on new life. The new life that comes through Christ. As we celebrate new life we'll talk about how spring is a time of new birth. Flowers and animals this time of year are a great example of the new life that's available after the resurrection. We'll do some fun "new life" crafts and there may even by some pastel m&m's  and jelly beans involved, because 1. Candy is fun and 2. It'll all be on sale.

Our hope is, our children will hold this holiday with reverence not just excitement. Our prayer is as they grow they will also become nauseated walking through target thinking about how many people just have no idea the joy and life that's available to them only through Christ, and that this truth will motivate them to live out their faith in every moment of their life.

Can you have fun with Easter and the Resurrection? Sure. I believe some people do it better than others. And, I would encourage you to ask yourself why your children get excited about the holiday. I don't know about you, but if I'm 4 years old, I'm more excited about candy and flip flops than a story I've heard a million times. I taught 3 year old Sunday School this morning and we took a 5 minute detour because when the word "Easter" was said, a little boy started jumping up and down because the "Easter bunny is coming". We're trying to be very intentional this year to display the beauty and mystery of the cross mixed with the wonder and joy of the resurrection without any other distractions.

Because, there really was a man named Jesus. He really walked this very earth. He really did suffer tremendously for nothing that he did. He really did die for me. He really did conquer death once and for all. He really did raise again in 3 days. He really does sit at the right hand of God. And, that is REALLY a reason to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment